Mould health risks as girl rushed to hospital from exposure

A teenage girl was rushed to hospital after exposure to extreme mould which has grown in every room of her house.

The girl’s mum, Amylee Pincott, 33, says the ‘aggressive mould’ created ‘toxic conditions’ in the three-bed bungalow she shares with her daughters aged 16 and 11.

Despite ‘repeated’ calls to her letting agent and a letter to her landlord, the mould started rapidly spreading last September after a leak in the roof of the property.

In November, Pincott’s teenage daughter was rushed to hospital after a GP found fluid in her chest, nose, and ears due to the damp condition, and she was struggling to breath.

“I’ve pleaded for help and empathy, and we’ve had nothing – it’s left me feeling like I’ve been walked over,” Pincott says.

“Seeing me struggle has affected my children. I’ve been very patient and mentally it’s cost us so much.”

Pincott adds that her bedroom ceiling fell through in March, but it has been repaired. However, she adds that mould is still growing throughout their Mansfield home.

Amylee Pincott (pictured) was forced to rush her daughter to hospital after a mouldy home led to her having breathing difficulties. (SWNS)

Amylee Pincott (pictured) was forced to rush her daughter to hospital after a mouldy home led to her having breathing difficulties. (SWNS)

Pincott is not alone. According to the most recent English Housing Survey, around 904,000 homes in England have damp problems – affecting 2% of owner-occupied homes and 11% of private rental properties.

A separate report from the House of Commons found that damp homes can disproportionately affect single parent households and homes with children in them.

“The health ramifications of inhabiting a mouldy dwelling extend far beyond mere inconvenience,” Dr Joseph Ambani tells Yahoo UK.

“Mould, a pervasive fungal organism, emits spores and mycotoxins that can infiltrate the air we breathe, compromising respiratory health. Inhalation of mould spores often triggers allergic reactions, exacerbates asthma symptoms, and may lead to chronic respiratory conditions such as bronchitis or sinusitis.”

Dr Ambani adds that certain mould species can produce mycotoxins which are known for their toxic effects on human health. “These toxins can induce a range of symptoms, from headaches and dizziness to neurological impairment and immune system dysfunction,” he explains.

“Long-term exposure to mould toxins has been linked to more severe conditions like cognitive decline, chronic fatigue syndrome, and even cancer.”

As children have more vulnerable immune systems, Dr Ambani says they face heightened risks when living in a mould-contaminated home.

“Studies indicate that early childhood exposure to mould can have lasting repercussions on respiratory health, predisposing children to asthma, allergies, and recurrent respiratory infections,” he explains.

“Emerging research suggests a potential link between childhood mould exposure and long-term lung function impairment, underscoring the critical importance of addressing mould issues in homes with young occupants.”

Along with disturbing a child’s physical wellbeing, Dr Ambani says that it can affect cognitive development, academic performance, and their overall quality of life.

Young Asian boy is tired of doing homework, sitting at the table.

A mouldy home could affect a child’s academic performance. (Getty Images)

Dr Ambani says you should look out for the following:

“Additionally, the presence of a musty odour in the home, coupled with visible mould growth on surfaces, serves as tangible indicators of indoor mould contamination,” he adds. “It’s essential to heed these warning signs and promptly investigate potential mould sources to mitigate health risks effectively.”

Dr Ambani says the first thing you should do is to visit your GP for diagnosis and effective treatment strategies.

“At the same time, address the root cause of mould growth by identifying and remedying sources of moisture intrusion, improving ventilation systems, and implementing rigorous cleaning protocols,” he adds.

“Depending on the extent of contamination, professional mould remediation services may be warranted to ensure thorough and safe removal of mould colonies. Additionally, preventive measures such as installing dehumidifiers, using HEPA air purifiers, and routinely inspecting for moisture buildup can help mitigate future mould-related health risks.

“By taking decisive action and prioritising indoor air quality, you can mitigate the adverse effects of mould on your health and create a safer, healthier living environment for yourself and your loved ones.”

Additional reporting by SWNS.

Source link

About The Author

Scroll to Top